1/30/21

Failure to Launch

 


Going to a military college, I spent hours watching cadets practice drill, use bayonets, and special units like Columbo and the Rangers would practice on a higher level and it was fascinating. Army commands flying around and it was all normal to me.  A lot of military terms became parallel to my faith because of how much spiritual growth happened in college. I remember thinking how busy I was, but I definitely had time for multiple bible studies, long quiet times, and constant ministry retreats on breaks. Every day for 4 years, this was the environment in which these men were trained and some would go on to commission after college. I have stepped back into my roots of faith recently as I look around and desperately hope people of faith would live loud, that they would advance and not retreat.  I hope this writing piece will encourage you to step out, you have already been called and God will provide all that you need. 


Christians are given The Great Commission. Matthew 28:18-20.  And Jesus came and said to them, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20and teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you."

Simply put, if you are to go and make disciples, then that means you probably need to be around people that aren’t yet disciples. Disciple means a follower of Christ in this context. Again, we need to be around and immersed in people that are not following Christ. I absolutely value church and having a body of believers, I believe in it so much that I actually helped plant a church… in the middle of a pandemic. But, that's where some people stay. It should be a place of worship, teaching, and encouragement, so that you can go back out into the world. Then, meet again. In fact, don’t give up meeting together.  One of my favorite movies is, Failure To Launch. Some parents hire a girl who says she can get anyone to move out of their parents house. In the same sense, we need to get out of our Father’s House and get on the mission he gave you. The mission is not being done inside a building, bubble, or whatever barrier you’ve tried to put up to protect yourself. He is our protector, provider, and already given us the authority to do that. What is your fear or barrier?


You don’t have to get on an airplane and leave the country for mission (and newsflash it's super impossible to do that right now anyway), but you can walk across the street, serve in the local food pantry, have your family buy supplies for those that can’t or have been in crisis. If you are immersing into the world, you will see the needs. They will feel overwhelming at times once your eyes are opened. Any school social worker can give you plenty of ways to help support some of the families that go to school with your children. You will be able to discern what is best because God also says he’ll give you that, along with wisdom. There’s a good chance if you don’t know of any needs, you have failed to launch. 


Maybe you are constantly on the battleground and on it so much you have neglected your own family. That has definitely been me before. I found it was easier to meet the physical needs of other families than the emotional needs in my own house. You will hit a guardrail and be convicted if this is you. I was and I made a pivot. A few years ago, my parents started giving experiences instead of gifts. We took that idea and started doing that as well for holidays, birthdays, and special occasions. Our time away as a family is gold and I long for the days when our calendar is full again, so don’t forsake your own family for the needs of others. There was one time, early pandemic, when my porch became a drop off for the Walton community. I have never seen the amount of generosity like I did then. We had 800 rolls of toilet paper dropped off, and ironically, I had zero in my own house. Luckily, a friend hooked me up and shared their stash because I was not about to take from the elderly. It did remind me though, take care of your own affairs so you can take care of others.  Shop for your family and throw in an extra for someone else. I would also argue that you don’t not have time to serve, it’s soulwork, and that ranks high up there in raising the next generation. Your family can serve together and if they don’t see you doing it, who are they watching do it? Get them involved and create a heart to serve in them young. 


You are loved, you are God’s children, you have salvation through the Gospel, but you’ve been given a charge. And it's not to make your world safe and comfortable. Instead of pulling away, try pushing in. That is where the power of Christ is anyway. You don’t need it if you aren’t going anywhere. We all need to do an about face. We need to advance into the world with big love and the last thing we should do as army Christians on this battleground is retreat. 


I’d give any time to anyone wanting to make steps for themselves and their families to dig in, get messy, and realize that beautiful life is found where people are broken. You have something very special to give away, who are you going to give it to?

No comments:

Popular Posts