8/21/13

Wednesdays Word

I have had some really great devotions over the past 4 years that I wanted to share. Probably the most recent ones first, because the older ones are going to take more time to mentally go back.  I think sometimes when you are going through some of the hardest stuff, that can be when you hear from God the clearest. I know it isn't always the case, but when you are completely in a broken state, you can read anywhere that is where God likes to make his appearance.

To heal the broken hearted.
To set the captives free.

I have experienced Him a lot in our trials, am grateful for it, and getting to a place where I can share some of my darkest times and devotions in those moments. I am going to try and post every Wednesday of some past devotions. I may not succeed at being regular, but I will try!

One of the verses I share to friends struggling the most is this verse:
Micah 7:8- Do not gloat over me my enemy, though I have fallen, I will rise. Though I sit in darkness, the Lord will be my light.

Wednesdays Word:
I was reading about Jeremiah one morning and when he said (lamentations 3:18)
"my strength has perished, and so has my hope from the Lord"

Some days I remember feeling just exhausted by my circumstances. Strength and hope felt impossible.

Later he goes on to v 3: 21-22 and says "This I recall to mind, therefore I have hope. Because of the Lords great love we are not consumed for his compassions never fail."

That is the part of the verse that I feel like speaks the most. I know the following verse continues with "they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness" but during hard seasons I dont feel like I woke up every morning and the feeling of "loss" had gone away. I think during seasons that is true. I also dont think WE are supposed to "feel new" every morning. We may, but we may not. The verse is talking about His Word enduring forever and every morning it is the same. And new. Thats what I think anyway- and have experienced.

But, I like how Jeremiah has to "recall to mind" the Lords great love. To be thankful. To remember how He has been faithful. And to remind yourself of the times when He has been faithful and you have seen Him move. 
Thankfulness and remembering those times will give you the truth you need to get through the tough ones.

This is difficult, but I remember literally walking around with a thankful list. Constantly "recalling to mind" of where God has provided and shown His great love.

Lastly, the segment ends with (verse 24) The Lord is my portion. I will wait for Him.

And, the waiting is the hardest part. Hope deferred makes a heart sick. Waiting for restored hope, waiting for God to restore. Waiting for hope. Just waiting. But, I have seem Him restore hope every. time. 
Thankfulness seems to be the biggest weapon to fight losing hope.

I like this passage, but I think reading it in context of Jeremiahs trail is not what everyone thinks it means.
I pray you would read these verses in a new light and apply them to your situation.
Lamentations 3:18-24
18 So I say, "My splendor is gone and all that I had hoped from the Lord."
19 I remember my affliction and my wandering, and the bitterness and gall.
 20 I well remember them, and my soul is downcast within me.
 21 Yet I call this to mind and therefore I have hope:
22 Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail.
 23 They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. 
24 I say to myself, "The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for him." 

 I am trying to hit a "reset" button on my life for the fall. I love the fall. Always have. But over the past 4 years, the fall has been a bitter time when I lost the most babies and Tim received bad news from jobs. It is hard not to go back there. As I enter into this fall, I have to "recall to mind" where God has taken us from. Out of the pit of sadness and the stormy seas and put us on dry, safe pastures. And we are dwelling there. I really believe God can make all things new. That is what He is in the business of doing not only for our salvation, but our every need.

I know its from 2011, but the words to this song are so great.
 

No comments:

Popular Posts