5/4/09

Vacation??

Vacation has 2 definitions: 1. A period of time spent away from home or business in travel or recreation 2. A scheduled period in which activity is suspended. The verdict is still out on whether we had a vacation or not.... Oh, yes....here's the story!
We decide 2 days before that we are taking a family trip to the beach! Tim's grandparents have a condo in Seaside, Fl. and we go almost every year! It was open this past weekend, so we packed it up and left!

Day 1- Load everything, was going to leave and pick tim up from work at 5 and head down. Get all babies in the car, try to leave....the car won't start, of course. I call Tim. He then begins to tell me how to try and "roll start" his car down the driveway since its a stick. And me, being the experienced stick driver and all (not) end up in the street with the car still dead. So, my 75 year old neighbor named Art comes over and begins to diagnose the car, great. Tim finally decides to just leave work and come home. Of course when he gets here the car starts fine and he said it was just a "fluke thing." We finally depart at 5 pm and what is supposed to be a 5 hour trip took 7 hours. Between nursing, taking david potty, and stopping to get a new camera since we left ours, we got there at midnight and put sleeping babies in the bed.

Day 2- Seriously. Picture Perfect. The only good day we had down there. Beautiful day, Mackenzie slept on the beach all day, David played with sand toys, it was amazing. We even got a tan.

Day 3- Well, we should have known how it started out it wasn't going to be good. At the pool that morning, David decided to take the new camera "swimming." So, I only have about 8 pictures of our vacation that were salvaged from the memory card. $60 outta pocket.
Then, for naptime David seriously started this "behavior." I can't even really describe it other than it was something I've never seen, just weeping and yelling....anyway, I put him down for a nap and he threw up everywhere. So, that was fun.
We decide to go to downtown Seaside instead and get some fresh air. We load all babies, and guess what? The car doesn't start...... and me being the good wife I am (ha) quietly got out of the car and took both children upstairs. I don't really think Tim and I spoke a lot, all I know is about an hour later I came down and him and the security guard had pieces of the car scattered about the parking lot. The guard let tim borrow his car and they just started replacing things: distributor cap, radiator cap, and spark plugs. Tim thought is was a piece called the main relay, but the store didn't have it. So, tim and the security guard hung out with the car while I dealt with our little meltdown and the baby. $40 outta pocket, car still not working. Deal with it tomorrow....

Day 4- Well, tomorrow happened to be Saturday and we could only find 2 places close by and open 1. Honda Dealership 2. Big 10 Tires....who by the way, when we called and told them we thought is was the main relay, they said, "Sure we'll fix her......remind me what the main relay does again?" We obviously decided to go to Honda and get raked over the coals. Yup, main relay is was. $220 outta pocket later.
We were now in Panama City b/c this is where Honda was. Lucky us, it was "BIKE WEEK" David was in heaven, but I was petrified for my life. There are some interesting characters that attend the bi-annual bike week in Panama City. Where we stopped for breakfast, some biker came in and ordered a Corona and piece of pie for breakfast. awesome.
We did have a blast at the beach the rest of the day. Mackenzie slept on the beach all day, David played, it was perfect.......until dinner.
Mr. David did not take a nap and so on the way to dinner at 6 pm he falls aleep. We decide to just let him have a "power nap" and wake him up 45 min later. FYI, 2 year olds don't take power naps. That "behavior" I mentioned earlier resurfaced and this time in the restaurant as soon as we sat down. It was so bad we had to leave. 2 drinks and David's chicken fingers that had already came out (which by the way he never ate) was all we got to order. $13 outta pocket.
I try to go have a heart to heart with David, all he told me was "I wanna go home, I want Davey's house, my bike, Holly, and winnie the pooh car." We just couldn't figure out what was wrong with him. ???? It was at this point I told Tim I was unsure if I wanted a third baby. It was also at this point Tim said it probably wasn't a problem since we were almost done with our vacation and still had not managed to even have sex.

Day 5- Last day and we book it out of Florida needless to say. We drove so fast it only took 4 hours and 45 min. As we are leaving, David is still just not acting like himself. I happened to just look inside his mouth and what do I see? All 4 of his 2 year molars cutting through his gums........ A huge sigh let out and also guilt of not knowing why he was acting crazy. His poor huge molars were coming in and I didn't even know. We immediately started giving him Advil and he has been much happier. Of course we found out why the last day.

So, was it a vacation??? Yes and No. I love my husband and kids so us being together is always special. Do the cards always fall in our favor? No, but hey, thats why people read this blog, right?

Thanks to Tim's grandparents for letting us go, it is a beautiful place to be even when everything goes wrong. Thanks to my parents for watching Holly. Thanks to Tim's parents ordering us dinner over the phone one night down there to the condo. And lastly, thanks to the woman on the back of the bike that we followed out of Seaside....please consider tucking your shirt into your pants because for 30 miles I had to stare at your back-fat hanging over your pants and jiggling in the wind. That was the cherry on top.

We will not forget Seaside, and Seaside will not forget us. Please note all my sarcasm and that I really do love my life. Here are some of the 8 pictures I have.

9 comments:

Rachel @ Moments With My Miracles said...

Sounds like our "vacation/conference" in Seagrove! We had one good day as well. You are such a good storyteller!

natalie said...

oh my gosh--I am so laughing hysterically--well mainly about the part about no sex! It's like the griswalds when trying to take a vacation--been there done that. We too have left food on the restarurant table b/c of bad kids. 2 year old molars are the absolute worse!!! Keep him medicated;) And you too!! Ha Ha!

Kelly G said...

Ok Jennifer.. I just had to laugh at that one.. thanks for that!.. on the other hand, I'm sorry your vacation wasn't the dreamy escape you'd hoped for. I do have to tell you though that this was way more entertaining than reading some perfectly planned out beach escape :)

Brittany said...

you are SO FUNNY!!!
I love the honesty-and it's so fun to read about the crazy stuff, and then see your great attitude about it all shining through!

Emilie Smith said...

Hey Jennifer!
Your blog is so funny! I love HONESTY : ) Your babies are so sweet and I'm glad y'all had a semi-good "vacation!"

Ashley said...

I can always count on you to leave a smile on my face. Even though your life is crazy and hectic, somehow I wind up thinking, how much fun! I guess that makes me crazy, too. :)

Jacob and Jessica Willis said...

"please consider tucking your shirt into your pants because for 30 miles I had to stare at your back-fat hanging over your pants and jiggling in the wind. That was the cherry on top."

I just peed in my pants.....thanks.

Ashly said...

This post had me rollin! Sorry it wasn't more relaxing! I can't believe the post before that, about David eating the toothpaste. That kid will keep you on your toes:)

See ya Tuesday,
Ashly

The Partins said...

LOL.... Our vacation was me with a head & chest cold from you know where, and Jamie with a 103.4 fever... but atleast the plane started. haha. And only one day of your trip counts towards vacation, so you should get to go again... oh, and Jamie slept between us the whole time, so she remains an only child. :-)

Popular Posts